Thursday, March 1, 2018

Building a working Kubernetes (k8s) reference implementations

I have been working with Kubernetes (k8s) off and on for about 2 years.   That being said, it's always been pretty topical and targeted to work that is going on.   Inevitably, I end up answering a bunch of the same questions over and over and building one-off samples.   Not very good of me if a say so myself 😳.

So, I figured I would take a step back and build a functioning application iteratively that uses most of the technology that I use on a daily basis.  However, I am approaching it as if I was going on the journey from scratch.   That way, if you follow it start to finish it should answer a lot of questions.

Part I -  Hello World
  1. A simple Hello World application using SpringBoot
  2. Dockerize said application using Maven
Part II - Basic Kube on AWS
  1. Install and configure k8s on AWS using kops
  2. Install and configure Jenkins on k8s
  3. CI/CD of Part I using Jenkins on Kube
Part III - Deployments
  1. Create a deployment with multiple services
    • REST Service
    • Local Cache (GemFire)
  2. Create a deployment of a backing database that #1 uses
Part IV - ConfigMaps (may move this up)
Part V - Ingress Routing

We shall see what else I want or need to tackle as this goes forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment